A Bright Idea: The History of Neon Signs
Since the 1960s neon signs have become an extremely popular method of advertising and promotion for businesses. Custom neon signs are utilized as advertising and signage due to their aesthetic appeal. But, they can be utilized for different reasons.
Neon-colored signs can have an enormous impact on your business starting with the basic “Open” display on the front of the store to the flashing lights that can be seen in Las Vegas.
The history of neon signs
Before the discovery of custom neon signs, the story of neon signs started. Heinrich Geissler, a German scientist, and physicist, who also was a glassblower, started to study tubes that contained rarefied gas in 1855. The tube was filled with gas and was exposed to low pressure. A voltage of electricity was applied. The gas began to light up. This led to the neon signals we are now able to recognize.
After discovering neon gas within the Geissler tubes, British scientists William Ramsay (British) and Morris W. Travers (American) discovered it for the first time in 1898. However, Georges Claude, a French engineer, didn’t bring custom neon signs into America until 1923.
Outdoor advertising was quickly embraced by neon lighting. The bright neon light’s attention-grabbing glow quickly spread throughout the United States. The neon lights illuminated the highways of America and restaurants used the lights nearly exclusively. Due to its popularity custom neon signs are now cheaper and more accessible to small-scale businesses across the nation.
New York City and Las Vegas were two of the major cities that made use of this technology and illuminated their streets with neon-lit signs. Advertisers looking for a low-cost method to grab the attention of everyone who saw it were enticed by its high visibility.
The Advantages of Neon Signs
- Neon signs with high visibility are ideal for newly established or small-sized businesses that need to make their signs stand apart from the others.
- Make your night more enjoyable by putting up a neon sign – The neon sign is visible all day long. This sign is perfect for establishments that offer late-night food delivery, or other services.
- It conserves energy. neon lights are extremely efficient in energy use. Neon lights can help save 50% – 60% of energy in comparison to conventional lighting.
- Long-lasting – Signs made of neon when properly designed are durable and last for a long time. The lifespan of a neon sign is between ten and twelve years.
- Neon Signs can be used anywhere – if you’ve got the right promotional concept Neon signs are secure and can be utilized inside or outside of your business.
What is the reason for Bartush?
The high visibility of neon is what makes it extremely sought-after. However, it is also difficult to deal with. A lot of entrepreneurs struggle to find a supplier who has the expertise and experience to meet their strict requirements. Bartush is an expert in neon.
Bartush is among the few sign makers left in the area that can create the top-quality neon signs that your business requires. Bartush has been operating for over 75 years, and our experienced artisans are accustomed to the use of neon. We provide a full service. Bartush can assist you with your design requirements. Once you’ve finalized your concept together with us, we’ll put it up to ensure that your signage lasts.
Contact us now if you would like to brighten up your business by putting up neon signs. We’re happy to help you.